Feels like those first few weeks

What I can't quite get my head around is why we kept a marina berth last summer. Even though in midsummer, we often dropped guests in the marina at the end of each day then high-tailed it to Sveti Marko (our island anchorage), there were still plenty of nights spent tied up in Porto Montenegro, "making the most of our marina fees". Ha!

This summer has felt like I've been scrubbed clean.

At the end of April, we left behind the construction powerhouse that is Porto Montenegro and life instantly changed. Awaking to cicadas rather than pile drivers, swapping hammering and drilling for the gentle lapping of water made the start to each day an altogether more tranquil experience.

Out on anchor, hoorah! All summer until October, hoorah! Why did we choose to do anything other than this?? As long as I keep a good eye on the wind directions and double-guess the severity (few forecasts get it right for the mountainous microclimate of the Boka), we almost always get a quiet night. Gone are the days of sitting out hectic Bura winds in Kotor Bay, when we can just slip in tight behind Sv Marko and be completely sheltered. We've learnt ways of getting around the island's security mungo and his insane dogs (The Furminator) so the dogs now get walked too.

This spring and summer have felt very much like the first few months on the boat. By this I do not mean hapless and slightly terrified; but constantly drinking in the natural beauty of the water, the incredible landscape and every-changing light. My eyes never tire of it. I still stagger (bad back) out of bed each morning, spurred on by the desire to look outside. It is the only thing I find nowadays that stills my racing mind and internal energy.

Comments

Popular Posts